We are down to the wire, and if you are still looking for great gifts, then you know we are inside the “red zone” of gift giving: no more guaranteed delivery, things are selling out, the malls are insane!
Don’t worry; DAD has your back. Nothing wrong with the gift of tickets to an event that you and your entire family can enjoy. DAD put together a list of a few events that you can click on their name, order, download, print and wrap. No malls, no long lines and – most importantly – easy.
1) Dee Snider! Yes! “That” Dee Snider! The heavy metal rocker is more than a one trick pony and has put together Dee Sniders’ Rock and Roll Christmas Tale. I know what you’re thinking: “Why would I pay money to hear an old hair band rocker sing his old hits?” Ha! That’s what DAD thought, as well, and I thought wrong. The infamous lead singer of Twisted Sister has created and stars in a funny, rocking and (believe it or not) sweet new holiday musical guaranteed to rock your holiday. To be honest, I have yet to go to the show, but I have been listening to the music and interviews on the Steve Cochran Show (I think they are dating). After hearing Dee, yet again, DAD made the decision to take everyone to the show. Yes, it has heavy metal elements, but with a twist that even the kids will get into. If you want to give yourself a special treat, you can even buy the Dee Snider Experience and meet the man himself. Dee Sniders’ Rock and Roll Christmas Tale, through January 4th.
2) Disney On Ice presents Frozen– Yup. You heard me right. MORE Frozen, this time on ice! Jan. 21 – 26 at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., and Jan. 28 – Feb. 8 at Chicago’s United Center. Olaf, Elsa, Anna and the rest of them take to the ice for Disney On Ice – Frozen. The cool thing about Disney on Ice as opposed to Disney on your TV, tablet, TV again and again and again (!!!) is they are able to take a story you may have seen a dozen times and inject a new energy and creativity into it. Frozen on ice is a slam dunk as far as ideas going together. Director Patty Vincent says, “Our goal is to showcase these heartwarming characters in a way that allows the audience to cheer and sing along throughout this emotional journey.” A little Frozen in a stocking is going to make your favorite princess or prince very happy.
3) Monster Jam!– Yes, it’s back and better than ever. What is Monster Jam? Just the coolest, most intense mixture of monster trucks smashing into cars, flying thorough the air, while at the same time defying gravity at blazing speeds! Monster Jam is a great time for boys and, yes, girls. The teenage (girl) has been the last three years and loves the cool trucks, the excitement and the noise that comes with Monster Jam. Maxx D, Grave Digger, Blue Thunder, Scooby Doo and a dozen other massive monster trucks roll into Rosemont February 5-8th. Rosemont is a great size for this venue. There are no bad seats, and the balcony fans get a great view of these trucks as they take off into the air. This is one of those rare events where I tell my kids, “scream as loud as you want.” The energy, excitement, thrills and amazing machines make Monster Jam a great gift.
4) The Harlem Globetrotters- Sunday, December 28th, at All State Arena – The Globetrotters are like chocolate and scotch: they are never bad and guaranteed to satisfy. I went with my dad as a little boy and plan on taking my kids to see the Globetrotters. Incredible ball handling, amazing rim-rattling dunks, trick shots, side-splitting comedy and fan interaction, this must-see event is guaranteed to entertain the whole family creating memories that will last a lifetime. You can join Globetrotter stars after the game where they will stay for an autograph, photograph and high-five session for fans (subject to availability). Those Washington Generals are out to get the Globetrotters, and you never know what can happen when the two get together. You just know it’s going to be fun.
5) Hockey City Classic- Not the really expensive one that the Blackhawks play in on New Years day in another state, “the” Hockey City Classic takes over Soldier Field on February 7th for two great college games: Michigan Vs. Michigan State and Miami Vs. Western Michigan. On February 5th, all-star hockey greats will reunite on the ice in a rare showdown of historic hockey talent featuring former Blackhawks’ player, coach, and Hall of Famer Denis Savard, former St. Louis Blues forward Gino “The Tank” Cavallini and a bunch more. It’s more than an awesome day of hockey. You can get right on the ice and skate with your family…in Soldier Field! Before the game there are three open skates, starting at 5:45 p.m. and running before and after the game. This is a chance to make a great family memory, not to mention a few awesome Facebook posts. There is a kids clinic and plenty more surrounding The Hockey City Classic.
6) Xtreme Xperience– DAD loves Xtreme Xperience! I was able to check it out for Father’s Day, and this year I am planning on sending “WIFE” to race her tail off in the world’s fastest cars. Yup 165 MPH in a $450,000 car. Normally only Jay Cutler or Lance Briggs get to live that large. Xtreme Xperience is a heart pounding, adrenaline filled experience that will leave you smiling! You don’t have to be an exotic car enthusiast or even into car racing. You do have to love pure unfiltered awesome. Drive a dream car, and drive it at triple-digit speeds on a real racetrack! In 2015, Xtreme Xperience is bringing its touring supercar experience to more than 30 events around the nation, including Chicago, with a fleet of cars that features Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and more. And with packages starting as low as $199, this is truly the perfect way to gift loved ones with an adrenalin-pumping “fast lane” experience.